If you are planning to bring a dog into your house congratulations. To have an adorable little puppy running around the house is great fun, however the last thing you want to see is an accident where the little guy gets cut, poisoned, or stepped on. However, accidents do happen and you should be prepared. Better yet, it is best if you practice safety prevention rather than waiting for something bad to happen to your puppy.
One little circumstance going unnoticed can cause a great deal of pain to your puppy. These little animals have an insatiable curiosity. Everything they see and smell looks like a great adventure and from their point of view, it’s all open territory. They see no danger and instead move forward to check things out. This is why you want to take the following safety measures so that you can somewhat “puppy-proof” your house.
Look around every room of your home and try to dispose of small items that your puppy may swallow. Puppies tend to try to swallow anything that they can get a hold of.
Unfortunately, not all small items will safely pass through the dog’s intestines which can prove to be fatal.
Other times, your puppy’s system will try to gag and cough up the object which can go on for a long period of time. If your dog does not get the object out then the intestine becomes blocked and can rupture.
Hide or elevate your electrical cords and wires. Every home has wires and cords that must be in each room, but if left hanging there, dangling like a treat, your puppy is guaranteed to be tempted to play with it.
If he chews on these electrical items, your puppy is going to get hurt. The damage caused by gnawing through to the inside wiring of these cords can cause a mild shock or worse, third-degree burns. And in many cases, the electrocution can be so severe that it may cause your puppy to die from the shock. It is best to elevate all of the wiring that you can and use heavy-duty tape to cover up the other cords that have to be on and around the floor area
Keep your home free from dangerous poisons and toxins that your puppy can ingest. Dogs have a tendency of trying to eat just about everything they come across. In most cases, this causes some slight discomfort. There are things, however, that can be dangerous enough to cause death to your dog if he eats them. Following is a brief list:
1) Antifreeze: Many people do not realize it, but common antifreeze kills many pets each year. It smells and tastes very sweet to your dog and is very appealing to him.
2) Chocolate: Chocolate contains a substance called the obromine which is toxic to dogs. Baking chocolate and dark chocolate is especially dangerous.
3) Bleach: As you might imagine, household bleach is toxic to dogs. Keep all products containing bleach out of your dog’s reach.
4) Tylenol: As little as two regular strength Tylenol tablets can kill a small dog.
5) Watch Batteries: If your dog ingests a watch battery, it can cause a potentially fatal ulceration in the stomach within 12 hours. All other alkaline batteries are toxic to dogs as well.
6) Moth Balls: Moth balls are very dangerous to dogs. They contain an insecticide that causes central nervous system excitement and seizures..
7) Fabric Softeners and other detergents: All sorts of household detergents are toxic to dogs at one level or another, but fabric softeners fall into the highly toxic category.
8) Mouthwash: Mouthwash can contain boric acid which is highly toxic to dogs. Symptoms of poisoning by mouthwash include vomiting, drooling, seizures, and coma.
9) Peach Pits: With most fruits, the pits and the seeds are toxic to dogs. Signs of poisoning include drooling, vomiting, and lethargy.
10) Household Plants: Many common and popular household plants are highly toxic to dogs. A partial list of toxic plants includes poinsettias, lilies, ferns, devil’s ivy, aloe, and ivy.
If you think your dog may have eaten any of these substances, or anything else that could poison him, call a vet immediately. It could save his life.