These statistics are from the ASPCA see details at the bottom of page: Each year, approximately 2.7 million animals are euthanized (1.2 million dogs and 1.4 million cats).
“On Monday, July 20, Kala and Keira, two puppies at Angels Among Us Pet Rescue in Atlanta, Georgia, were scheduled to be euthanized. Although they were loving and wonderful dogs, they couldn’t seem to get adopted, and the shelter no longer had the necessary resources to support them.
With the clock ticking, the team at the shelter sent out one final plea to their friends and families, desperately praying that someone, somewhere would save these dogs and provide a forever home for them.
The group posted the photo below of Kala and Keira. It shows the two hugging each other, in what could very well be their last moment together. The photo had the following caption:
“I’m Kala. This is Keira. We’re so scared in here. The people working in the shelters see how scared we are but just told each other that today is our deadline. If no one saves us, someone will take her away from me. I’ll see her as she goes down the hallway. She won’t come back and I’ll cry. They’ll come for me next, and I won’t be as brave.”
Within minutes of posting the photo, people around the country began sharing the photo, helping Angels Among Us Pet Rescue spread the word of two beautiful dogs who were available for adoption. Two hours later, one man finally stepped up to save these best friends.
The shelter posted this update:
There are no words to tell you how happy we are that these two best friends are safe and together!
It’s amazing what the power of the people can accomplish. Let’s work together and help other shelter dogs get adopted.
Please SHARE this touching story with your friends on Facebook.
Facts about U.S. Animal Shelters:
There are about 13,600 community animal shelters nationwide that are independent; there is no national organization monitoring these shelters. The terms “humane society” and “SPCA” are generic; shelters using those names are not part of the ASPCA or the Humane Society of the United States. Currently, no government institution or animal organization is responsible for tabulating national statistics for the animal protection movement. These are national estimates; the figures may vary from state to state.
- Approximately 7.6 million companion animals enter animal shelters nationwide every year. Of those, approximately 3.9 million are dogs and 3.4 million are cats.
- Each year, approximately 2.7 million animals are euthanized (1.2 million dogs and 1.4 million cats).
- Approximately 2.7 million shelter animals are adopted each year (1.4 million dogs and 1.3 million cats).
- About 649,000 animals who enter shelters as strays are returned to their owners. Of those, 542,000 are dogs and only 100,000 are cats.
- Of the dogs entering shelters, approximately 35% are adopted, 31% are euthanized and 26% of dogs who came in as strays are returned to their owner.
- Of the cats entering shelters, approximately 37% are adopted, 41% are euthanized, and less than 5% of cats who came in as strays are returned to their owners.
- About twice as many animals enter shelters as strays compared to the number that are relinquished by their owners.